History

History

For more than a hundred years, artists and writers have found an invigorating atmosphere in Provincetown. In 1968, the Fine Arts Work Center was founded by a group of artists, writers, and patrons including Fritz Bultman, Alan Dugan, Stanley Kunitz, Phil Malicoat, Robert Motherwell, Myron Stout, Jack Tworkov and Hudson D. Walker. They believed that the freedom to pursue creative work within a community of peers was the best catalyst for artistic growth, and the Work Center has dedicated itself to this goal for more than thirty years. In 1972, the Work Center acquired the Days Lumberyard property on Pearl Street as its permanent home. The grounds of the lumberyard had long been a haven for artists, offering studio space since 1914. Charles Hawthorne, Edwin Dickinson, Ross Moffett, Hans Hofmann and Myron Stout were among the artists associated with the site in its earlier days. The Barn, now divided into three living units for Fellows, once provided work space for Robert Motherwell.